Buffalo Chick'n Dip
- 16 oz Cauliflower raw, or frozen and thawed
- 1 bag (10 oz) Morning Star Farm Chicken Strips, thawed (can sub TVP, tempeh, or soy curls - but will change macros)
- 2 c Unsweetened Soy Milk unsweetened
- 1/4 c raw cahews
- 1/2 c chickpeas or white beans
- 3/4 c Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable better than bullion paste (can sub 2 Tbsp Miso paste)
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/3 c cornstarch (can sub tapioca starch)
- 1/2 c Franks Red Hot Sauce (can sub different hot sauce and adjust up or down for taste preference)
- 1 Tbsp agar powder
- 1 1/3 c cold water
- In a food processor, pulse cauliflower until it is about rice consistency. Add this to a skillet.
- In a food processor, pulse the Morning Star Farm Chicken Strips until you have roughly centimeter size chunks. Add this to the skillet with the cauliflower.
- NOTE: If using TVP or soy curls, be sure to rehydrate with hot water. You should use about 2 cups of REHYDRATED versions. You can pulse the soy curls to the correct size. If using tempeh, you can crumble it by hand into small pieces. Add any one of these to the skillet with cauliflower. Keep in mind that these substitutions will change the macros.
- Put the skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is dry. We're trying to cook the moisture out of the mixture. You can let this cook while we blend up the sauce in the next steps. When the mixture is dry-ish, you can remove from the heat.
- In a high powered blender, add soy milk, cashews, beans, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and bullion paste. Blend until completely smooth.
- Stop the blender and add your cornstarch and hot sauce. Add less hot sauce if you're afraid it will be too spicy. If you want to add more at the end of the recipe, you can.
- In a large saucepan, add your COLD water and whisk in your agar powder until dissolved.
- Turn the saucepan over medium heat. The mixture will begin to bubble and look granular. Keep waiting, about 3 minutes total, and the mixture will start to look more like a gel again.
- From here, while whisking, slowly pour in your sauce mixture, keeping the heat over medium. Keep whisking for about 5 minutes or until the mixture gets thick and a little bit stringy.
- Add the cauliflower, chicken mixture to your sauce, and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Taste and add more hot sauce if need be to your tastes.
Buffalo Chick'n Dip
Amount Per Serving
Calories 363 Calories from Fat 87
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!