Black eyes peas and collard greens go together like peanut butter and jelly. Definitely pair this with the BBQ Seitan Ribs!
Spicy Black Eyes Peas and Collards
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb Collard Greens
- 2 15 oz cans Cooked Black Eyed Peas drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 c vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 additional minute.
- Add collard greens and 1/4 c of the vegetable broth. Simmer until greens shrink to half their size, stirring regularly.
- Add peas, tomato paste, the remainder of the broth. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cayenne and vinegar.
- Use a large fork or potato masher to mash about half of the beans.
- Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve.