So, if we’re being honest, I usually buy the Old El Paso Fat Free Refried beans in a can….but if you want to kick your refried beans up a notch, this is a really great and fast way to make canned red beans taste like true refried beans with great macros in 15 minutes.
Fat Free Refried Beans
- 1 small Onion chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 15 oz can Cooked Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz can plain tomato sauce
- Saute onions in a medium pot sprayed with non stick cooking spray for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin, salt. Cook for 1 more minute. Add water by the tablespoon if it starts to dry out or burn.
- Add beans and mash with a potato masher until almost completely mashed but with some lumps.
- Add tomato sauce and mix. Cook until heated through adding water by the tablespoon if needed to thin it out.
- Remove from heat and serve.