High Protein Cinnamon Rolls
- 180 g all purpose flour
- 90 g vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 7 oz warm water 110 degrees F
- 1/2 Tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Earth Balance melted
- 1/2 c Tofutti Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Stir 1.5 Tbsp sugar and yeast into the warm water until sugar is dissolved. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- Stir 1/2 Tbsp earth balance into the yeast mixture and stir until melted.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix all-purpose flour, vital wheat gluten, and 1/2 tsp salt until well mixed.
- Mix your warm water/yeast mixture into your dry ingredients. Mix in a stand mixer on low or knead for 2-3 minutes until a cohesive dough forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in to rise for 1 hour. It should just about double in size.
- IN a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp salt until well mixed to form your cinnamon-sugar filling.
- Preheat oven to 350* and spray a 9"x9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll your dough out into a rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Pour your 1 Tbsp of melted earth balance across the dough and use your fingers to spread it over the surface of the dough, leaving 1 inch of the long side unbuttered.
- Sprinkle your cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over the dough, again using your fingers to spread it evenly around. Continue to leave one inch of the long edge bare.
- Starting with the long edge that IS covered in filling, begin tightly rolling towards the bare edge. Seal the bare edge against the rest of the roll by gently pressing it into the dough.
- Using non-minty dental floss, thread, or a wet knife, gently cut your log into 9 even cinnamon rolls.
- Place your cinnamon rolls, swirl side up in your baking dish in 3 rows of three.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- While your rolls are baking, make your frosting. In a small microwavable dish, microwave 1/2 c Tofutti cream cheese for ten seconds to soften.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar until smooth. You can add a Tbsp non-dairy milk if need be, but it will melt a bit when it is put onto the rolls, so do not thin it out too much.
- After the rolls have been removed from the oven and cooled for about twenty minutes, spread the frosting on the rolls while still in the pan.
Calories: 180kcalCarbohydrates: 23.8gProtein: 10.4gFat: 4.2gFiber: 0.5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!