Such an underrated vegetable! Collards are loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium, and so delicious when prepared properly. Give these a shot with any southern or bbq flavored meal. This recipe doubles or triples well and will keep for a week in the fridge.
Southern Collard Greens
- 2 c Onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 oz Upton Natural's Bacon about 4 slices, chopped
- 1 lb Collard Greens chopped
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- Heat a large stock pot to medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Add the Upton’s bacon to the pot and sauté for about 4 minutes until it starts to crisp.
- Add a little bit of veggie broth and toss in the onion and garlic and continue to sauté for about 7 minutes, until onions are transluscent.
- Add the remaining broth, liquid smoke, vinegar and chili flakes.
- Stir before adding all of the chopped collards, stirring as you add them to incorporate all ingredients.
- Bring the pot to a boil, and then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about an hour, or until you reach the desired tenderness.