Corned Beef Roast
Corned Beef Roast recipe from Vegan Proteins.
- 2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/4 c pickled beet juice from can or jar
- 4 c water
- 1/2 c salt
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp pickling spice
- 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 c vegetable broth
- In a large bowl, mix together vital wheat gluten, onion powder, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable broth, mustard, beet juice to the gluten mixture.
- When you can no longer mix with a spoon, knead for 2 minutes. Form into a round bread loaf shape.
- Mix water, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, and pickling spices together until sugar is dissolved.
- Put the liquid and the roast in a gallon ziplock bag to marinade for 3 hours.
- PRO TIP: Save the brine for pickling veggies later!
- Preheat Oven to 450*
- Mix the whole grain mustard and brown sugar together in a small bowl.
- Remove roast from ziplock and place on a VERY large piece of parchment paper (we will be wrapping it). Spread the glaze on top of the roast.
- Wrap the parchment paper around the roast, folding the edges on all sides to for a pouch. You may need to use 2 pieces of parchment layered on each other to be wide enough. Then wrap this whole packet in foil the same way.
Cooking the Roast
- In a baking dish or dutch oven, place the wrapped roast in the center. Pout 2 c veggie broth around it. Cover the whole pan with foil or dutch oven lid.
- If you are roasting veggies with this as well, you will add them to the pan AFTER bakin for 1 hour alone. So bake the roast as is for 60 minutes. Remove from the oven, add your diced veggies of choice to the pan (not included in nutrition facts). Cover with foil again and cook for another 40-60 minutes until roast is firm to the touch and veggies are cooked.
- You can serve as is in roast form OR you can slice it thin and use it in sandwiches throughout the week. This makes a KILLER rueben.
Corned Beef Roast
Amount Per Serving
Calories 146 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Vitamin C 0.1mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!