Giacomo actually came up with this recipe and I think what makes it so unique is that he peels the layers off the sprouts so you get these paper thin pieces that crisp up beautifully with all of the other ingredients. It’s a little more time consuming to peel them, but worth it!
Crispy Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts
- 1 small white onion sliced thin
- 1/4 c Walnuts chopped
- 1/3 c craisins
- 1/2 c TVP
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Peel as many leaves off your brussel sprouts as you can. No need to go crazy. Once you get several layers off, chop the remaining brussel sprout.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce and liquid smoke. Add the TVP to the bowl and add enough water to cover. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix shredded brussel sprouts, sliced onion, craisins and chopped walnuts.
- Drain the liquid off the TVP and toss this in the large bowl as well.
- Place the mixture in a large baking dish and cover with foil.
- Roast in the oven for 35 minutes. Then uncover, stir and roast for another 15 minutes uncovered.