NOTE: This video makes twice as much marinade as you actually need. The actual amounts for 1 batch is listed in the recipe below.
Classic Vegan Jerky
- 1 c vital wheat gluten
- 3/4 c water
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 /2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Boil a large pot of water.
- In a large bowl, mix the vital wheat gluten and the water together until fully incorporated.
- Cut the dough ball into 4 roughly equal pieces.
- Put the dough balls in the boiling water for 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Set aside to cool to the point you can handle them.
- Leave the pot of water boiling.
Preparing the Marinade
- In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, liquid smoke, chili powder and black pepper until sugar is dissolved.
Making jerky pieces
- When the dough balls are cool enough to handle, use a serrated knife to make slice them into 1/8 inch slices. The do not have to be perfect.
- Drop the pieces back into the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, straining any excess water.
- Let cool until you can handle again.
- Drag each piece of seitan dough through the marinade until coated.
- Place on either a teflon sheet (if using a dehydrator) or a parchment lined cookie sheet (if using an oven).
- When all pieces are coated, place the trays in the oven or dehydrator.
- For the oven, set it to 170*F For the dehydrator, set it to 160*F
- Allow to dehydrate for 1 hour before flipping them. Continue to dehydrate for another hour.