Caesar salad addict here. Every vegan restaurant I visit, I try their caesar salad, so I consider myself a bit of an expert. This is among the best. The dressing is garlicky and lemony and creamy. And the “croutons” made of tempeh give a satisfying crunch while also adding protein and keeping carbs lower. If you do have more carbs to play with, by all means, make some croutons with actual bread and throw those in as well–it will only make it more delicious!
Single Serving Caesar Salad with Tempeh Croutons
- 10 oz romaine chopped
- 1/2 c Mori Nu Extra Firm Silken Tofu blended
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp mustard dijon if available
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 package Tofurkey Maple Bacon Tempeh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the tempeh strips into pieces about 3/4 inch long.
- On a baking sheet spritzed with cooking spray, lay the tempeh pieces not touching each other.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until crunchy.
- In a large, salad sized bowl, mix the blended tofu, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, minced garlic, capers, and mustard together.
- Add water as needed to get the desired dressing consistency.
- Using 2 forks, or a pair of tongs, pour the romaine lettuce in the bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Top with warm tempeh croutons.