Thanks for checking out our recipes! If you can’t see the recipe below, it means you’re not a member yet! Check out our health and fitness membership below. It comes with access to all of these recipes, daily scheduled workouts in our amazing app, our meal planner, our macro calculation tools, and live coaching calls. It cannot be beat! Check it out below!
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1.25 c hot water 110*F
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp optional toppings (garlic, everything seasoning, sesame seeds, etc)
- Let the yeast, hot water and sugar sit for 5 min in a stand mixer bowls or large bowl until it is bubbly.
- To this bowl, add flour, gluten, oil and salt.
- Let mix on low speed with a dough hook for 8 min. OR mix until well mixed by hand and knead for 8 min.
- Place a damp paper towel in the bowl with the dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a dark, warm place for 2 hours or until at least doubled.
- Punch the dough down and knead for 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces (or however many bagels you want.) and shape into balls.
- Put on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
- While this is resting, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tsp baking soda and preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C
- Punch down each individual dough ball and squish all the air out.
- Using your thumbs, poke a hole in the middle and shape it into a ring. The hole will shrink while cooking, so make it bigger than you want it!
- One by one, boil the bagels for 20-30 seconds per side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon from pot and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, leaving room between bagels. ***If you are topping your bagels, you would want to gently press the bagels into a plate of topping (IE onion or garlic flakes etc) while they are wet and put them topping side up on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let fully cool before slicing with a serrated bread knife.