Protein bagel recipe by Vegan Proteins.
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1.25 c hot water 110*F
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 240 g all purpose flour (2 c)
- 240 g vital wheat gluten (2 c)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp optional toppings (garlic, everything seasoning, sesame seeds, etc)
- Let the yeast, hot water and sugar sit for 5 min in a stand mixer bowls or large bowl until it is bubbly.
- To this bowl, add flour, gluten, oil and salt.
- Let mix on low speed with a dough hook for 8 min. OR mix until well mixed by hand and knead for 8 min.
- Place a damp paper towel in the bowl with the dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a dark, warm place for 2 hours or until at least doubled.
- Punch the dough down and knead for 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces (or however many bagels you want.) and shape into balls.
- Put on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
- While this is resting, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tsp baking soda and preheat your oven to 350*F
- Punch down each individual dough ball and squish all the air out.
- Using your thumbs, poke a hole in the middle and shape it into a ring. The hole will shrink while cooking, so make it bigger than you want it!
- One by one, boil the bagels for 20-30 seconds per side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon from pot and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, leaving room between bagels. ***If you are topping your bagels, you would want to gently press the bagels into a plate of topping (IE onion or garlic flakes etc) while they are wet and put them topping side up on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let fully cool before slicing with a serrated bread knife.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 262 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.3g2%
Monounsaturated Fat 1.3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!