Thanks for checking out our recipes! If you can’t see the recipe below, it means you’re not a member yet! Check out our health and fitness membership below. It comes with access to all of these recipes, daily scheduled workouts in our amazing app, our meal planner, our macro calculation tools, and live coaching calls. It cannot be beat! Check it out below!
Home Made Meaty Chunks and Crumbles
- 1 c water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2¾ c vital wheat gluten
- In a large bowl mix water, oil, sugar, soy sauce, salt, onion powder, liquid smoke and poultry seasoning.
- 1/2 cup (120g) a time add the vital wheat gluten. Mix well every time and put the dough into bits. Really take your time with this step. The more your pull, the better your final texture will be. As the gluten gets fully incorporated, add the next 1/2 c (120g). By the time all the gluten has been added, it will be very dry, stringy and crumbly. This is good!
- Heat water below a steamer basket. Dump the gluten pieces into the steamer and steam for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to make sure the pieces don't stick to each other.
- Remove from heat and let cool. You may need to break a few pieces apart. You can put in a container an store as is, OR you can pulse it in a food processor to make a true "ground beef" texture to use in soup/burritos etc.
- Pro Tip: If you have a stand mixer, you can save your arms by keeping it running with the paddle attachment during the gluten adding step. It will probably run for 15 minutes total to get the right texture. But you still add the gluten the same way, half cup by half cup, letting it run for a few minutes in between.