I love making seitan sausages! Usint this method, you can make so many different flavors. This one is a breakfast flavor and makes one long sausage, but you could make more traditional smaller ones as well if you just made smaller links.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Link
- 1/4 c vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sage powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tsp oil
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In another small bowl, mix the tomato paste, oil, maple extract and water.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquid mixture to it. Mix until it forms a dough ball, adding a Tbsp of vital wheat gluten if it is too sticky or loose.
- Roll the dough into a log. Place on a piece of aluminum foil and roll it up like a tootsie roll, twisting each end.
- Place in a steamer basket and steam for 45 minutes.