Thanks for checking out our recipes! If you can’t see the recipe below, it means you’re not a member yet! Check out our health and fitness membership below. It comes with access to all of these recipes, daily scheduled workouts in our amazing app, our meal planner, our macro calculation tools, and live coaching calls. It cannot be beat! Check it out below!
Homemade Beyond Burger
- ½ medium Onion
- 2 c Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloved garlic
- 1 15 oz can sliced beets and their liquid
- ¼ c soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 c TVP
- 1¾ c vital wheat gluten
- In a skillet, spritz with cooking spray and heat over low/medium heat.
- In a food processor, add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and pulse until they are very fine pieces, almost mush. Add this to the skillet and saute until it releases it liquid and becomes a bit translucent.
- When the veggies are cooked, add parsley, cumin and black pepper. Cook for 1 more minute and then turn off heat.
- Drain the can of beets and reserve the liquid. In the empty food processor, add the beets and process until nearly liquid.
- Add the liquid beet to a large bowl, 1/2 c. (120ml) of the reserved beet juice and soy sauce. Stir.
- Add the TVP to the large bowl and stir until mixed. Add enough water and/or remaining beet juice to just barely cover the TVP beet mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Add mushroom mixture to the beet mixture and stir well.
- Add the gluten by the ¼ cup (30g), stirring until well incorporated in between each ¼ c. After about 1 c (120g) , you will need to start using your hands to knead it until it is a dough that holds it shape when you squeeze it and let it go.
- Divide the large dough ball into 8 (by dividing in half, then in half, then in half again). Form each piece into a patty trying to make the edges and middle roughly the same thickness.
- Place all 8 burgers on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or spritzed with cooking spray.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes flipping halfway through.
- They can be served immediately, frozen for later or grilled.