This is a recipe that is a crowd pleaser on a cold day. I once made this recipe for 50 people and everyone loved it. It is adapted from Alicia Silverstone’s The Kind Diet.
Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp Salt
- 400 g Cooked Sweet Potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 1 c Cooked Lentils dried
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, deep pot.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Stir in the tomatoes and ginger and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, then taste for seasonings.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and lentils. Stir well, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are soft.